Herbert Akins Road Elementary is a finalist for the Moe’s and Poe’s Garden Grant Contest! Support our school and vote for Herbert Akins Road Elementary to win a $1,000 Garden Grant, which will help us establish a new school garden.
- First: Become a fan of the Moe’s Triangle Facebook page so that you may vote in the contest.
- Then: Vote one time per day April 21, 2014 through April 30, 2014
Thank you for your support!
We’re excited to kick off the first annual Boosterthon Fun Run at Herbert Akins on March 28th (Track 4) and April 4 (Tracks 1-3)! The goal of the Boosterthon Fun Run is to raise funds while teaching our kids about the importance of Fitness, Leadership, and Character. Our PTA’s goals is to raise $20,000 for our PTA Programs, classroom needs, and especially for our Teachers!
We need your help to connect your child to sponsors! Brainstorm with your child how to get 10 sponsors for Boosterthon to pledge ANY amount! Students are going to take a lot of ownership in this fundraiser, but we need your help to keep them organized and give them ideas for who they could get pledges and donations from!
Come to Learn About …
• Middle School Math Placement Guidelines
• Resources to Support Success in Math Available in ALL WCPSS Middle Schools.
• Math Progression in Middle & High School – What Comes After 6th Grade Math
• How and When You Have Options for Math Acceleration
Session #1: Monday, March 17, 2014
Location: Salem Middle School
Time: 9:30am – 10;30am
Session #2: Wednesday, March 19, 2014
Location: Heritage Middle School
Time: 5:30pm – 6:30pm
Session #3: Monday, March 24, 2014
Location: West Lake Middle School
Time: 5:30pm – 6:30pm
Session #4: Wednesday, March 26, 2014
Location: East Millbrook Middle School
Time: 9:30am – 10:30am
Questions?: Check Out the Math Placement Resource Website
Spring pictures for Tracks 1 & 2 have been rescheduled for Thursday, April 24.
The following snow make-up days have been announced:
(Click here for English/Spanish Flier)
- (NEW) Make-up for March 8 (Tracks 1 & 4)*: Friday, March 28 will not be early release. School will dismiss at its normal time.
- Make-up for January 30 (Tracks 1, 2, & 4): Saturday, April 26
- Make-up for January 31 (Tracks 1, 2, & 4): Saturday, May 3
There will be no additional make up days for the February 12-14 snow days. The early release on March 7 was changed to a full day of instruction instead.
* Track 3 students have banked enough instructional days to account for the recent inclement weather absences.
For make-up days scheduled on Saturdays, bus pick-up times will follow the regular weekday schedule. The instructional day will be 3.5 hours. Breakfast and lunch will not be served, but students may bring snacks to school. There will be no recess or clubs. All time will be used on core instruction.
In the event that schools are closed or delayed due to inclent weather, please monitor the Wake County Public School System’s own electronic media and local television, radio, and print news media for the latest information.
In the event a decision is made to dismiss early after students are already in school, parents will also be notified via the district-wide Emergency School Messenger telephone system. Please see the information below to sign up for this system.
A message will be put on our main office number (919-567-4100) informing parents of the county’s decision.
Parents should use these resources to stay abreast of school closings, delays, and early dismissals:
Wake County Public School System Electronic Media
- WCPSS Web site: http://www.wcpss.net/
- Emergency Notification E-mail: Sign up at http://www.wcpss.net/signup/newsletters/signup/
Local News Media
- WRAL, Channel 5: http://www.wral.com/
- WTVD: http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/index
- NBC 17: http://www.wncn.com/
- News 14 Carolina (TWC News): http://centralnc.twcnews.com/
- News and Observer: http://www.newsobserver.com/
Area Radio Stations
- WRAL 101.5: http://www.wralfm.com/
- G-105: http://www.G105.com/
- AM 680: http://www.wptf.com/
- Foxy 107.1: http://www.foxync.com/
- K97.5: http://hiphopnc.com/
- WQDR: http://www.947qdr.com/
- WUNC 91.5: http://www.wunc.org/
- LaLey 101.1: http://www.laleync.com/
- Additional radio stations will also carry school announcements
Rising Kindergarteners can pre-enroll beginning January 13, 2014. Registration on January 13th will be from 9:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. in the Media Center. Thereafter, parents may register their children in the Front Office from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. In order to attend Kindergarten, children must be 5 years old on or before August 31st of the current school year.
Required Documents and Other Requirements
- Registration must be completed at your child’s base school.
- Parent/legal guardian photo ID
- Proof of Address
- Certified copy of the child’s birth certificate, which can be obtained from the health department of the county or state in which the child was born
- Immunization records – For a list of all required immunizations, visit the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services. If you do not have a certified immunization record, contact your physician or the Wake County Human Services office. All immunizations must be complete by the first day of school.
- A completed Kindergarten Health Assessment – required by North Carolina law on or before the child’s first day at school
January 13th – Rising Kindergartners can pre-register at their base school
March 3rd-16th – Transfer period – Rising 6th graders need to check their middle school assignments.
- WCPSS Blog Feature: wcpss.net features a new Kindergarten registration front page banner and blog posts in English and in Spanish.
- Updated Kindergarten Portal: Don’t forget that parents can visit our online Kindergarten portal in English or Spanish, featuring up-to-date information on kindergarten registration and early entry.
- Online Student Assignment information: As always, parents can review enrollment information or student assignment information on our website.